Sunday, April 7, 2013

Day Five: Sober Dances, Who Knew

I've been dying to get out and on the dance floor, however going to the club is a complete trigger for me. The lights, the loud music, the late nights all remind me of the time when I was riding the white horse, partying till 5 am completely awake and lost in myself. So when I found out about a sober dance I was more than intrigued. How does this work? How do you party and let yourself go without the use of alcohol and drugs? I didn't know if I could have a good time at a party being sober. The last time I remember going to a completely  sober dance was in junior high school, when we used to dance side to side with our legs intertwined in one anothers doing the butterfly and the tootsie roll. We were just a bunch of 6th graders trying to get our freak on. From  those days I became a party girl, hitting the NYC clubs when I was 17. I was already partying it up before I came to the big city. I still can't get enough of good music, hot guys who can move, and sweating my cares away on the dance floor. The sober party was held in a church. The last time I went to a party in a church it got shot up (oh the many memories of partying in the bay area), but this was really cool. There was a diverse group of people at this party and the music was pumping. It was supposed to be a Motown party, but I don't remember hearing any Motown music unless it was spun into a house dance mix. I grabbed a bottle of water and let myself go. The friend who had invited me told me I was like the energizer bunny. I learned that you can still have fun when you're sober, especially when you're around other sober people. I learned that I can still get my groove on and be myself without judgement. But most importantly I can explore new territories with an open mind. I woke up this morning and actually felt good, no hangover, no withdrawal, who knew that answer to my lonely weekends would be solved in a church basement.

No comments:

Post a Comment